Doc No: SC22/WG21/N2267 J16/07-0127 Date: 2007-05-05 Project: JTC1.22.32 Reply to: Robert Klarer IBM Canada, Ltd.

Minutes of ISO WG21 Meeting, April 15, 2007

1. Opening and introductions

Sutter called the meeting to order at 18:05(GMT) on April 15, 2007. Five countries were represented.

1.1 Welcome from host

Francis Glassborow, speaking on behalf of ACCU, discussed arrangements for this meeting.

1.2 Roll call of technical experts

Name Country HOD?
J. Stephen Adamczyk USA
Pete Becker USA
Steve Clamage USA
Gabriel Dos Reis France
Francis Glassborow UK Yes
Barry Hedquist USA Yes
Howard Hinnant USA
Loïc Joly France
Robert Klarer Canada Yes
Alisdair Meredith UK
Roger Orr UK
Tana Plauger USA
Tom Plum USA
Georges Schumacher France Yes
Bjarne Stroustrup USA
Herb Sutter (Convenor)
Detlef Vollmann Switzerland Yes

1.3 Adopt agenda

The agenda is document J16/07-0026 = WG21/N2166.

Agenda adopted by unanimous consent.

1.4 Select drafting committee.

Adamczyk, Dos Reis, and Hinnant were named to the drafting committee.

1.5 Approve minutes from last meeting

The minutes from the last meeting are recorded in document J16/06-0179 = WG21/N2109.

Approved by unanimous consent.

1.6 Review action items from previous meeting


2. Status, liaison, and action item reports

2.1 Small group status reports

deferred to Monday session.

2.2 Liaison Reports

2.2.1 SC22 report

There has been no plenary since Portland

Registration Ballot on Working Draft closes next month. We are permitted to discuss the standard anyway.

The decimal TR is registered.

2.2.2 SC22/WG14 (C) report

deferred to Monday session.

2.2.3 TG5 (C++ CLI) report

deferred to Monday session.

2.2.4 Vulnerabilities OWG report

deferred to Monday session.

3. New Business

3.1 Defect Report procedures

deferred to Monday session.

3.2 Library TR status and planning

deferred to Monday session.

4. Review and approve resolutions and issues

5. Closing process

5.1 Establish next agenda

The next agenda will be the same as this one.

5.2 Future meetings

July 15-20, Markham, ON.
Monday through Friday. Full groups only.

September 30 - Oct 5, Kona HI.
Oct 6 is also available for a Saturday session. This will not be a full J16 meeting.

The next meeting

Meredith expressed concern that there will be no updated Working Draft following the July meeting.

Hinnant noted that if we have an unofficial meeting, then he would like to see a summary paper, as has been done for the Fermilab LWG meeting.

Becker suggested a procedure: the Project Editor can make an unofficial Working Draft reflecting the modifications to the text that the committee has approved in principle, but not yet formally moved and accepted.

Sutter noted that another option is a letter ballot, though that is not a preferable option.

Hedquist reminded Sutter that a letter ballot is inadvisable because it is a long process. Sutter agreed

Discussion ensued.

Plum suggested that a less risky alternative would be to ensure that the result of the Toronto meeting was essentially a proposal from LWG and a proposal from CWG. Formal voting on both proposals would occur at the Kona meeting.

More discussion ensued.

Adamczyk spoke in favor of declaring the July meeting an official J16 meeting.

Clamage reported that is still possible to declare the July meeting an official J16 meeting, though it would have been nice to have given more notice.

Plum observed that we can excuse members that failed to attend the July meeting, so that their voting rights will not be affected.

Klarer promised to look into room arrangements in Toronto that would allow the committee to meet in full session.

Following meetings

Sutter expressed a desire to convene three meetings in 2008.

Plum asked how that plan affects the ballot schedule

Sutter explained that the only ballot that can potentially be affected is the CD ballot, which is a 90-day ballot, so it is likely to be complete prior to the spring 2008 meeting.

5.3 Future mailings

deferred to Friday session.

5.4 Review action items

There are no outstanding action items.

5.5 Any other Business


5.6 Thanks to host

See Friday session.

5.7 Recess