[ub] ub due to left operand of shift

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Oct 25 00:06:07 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM, John Regehr <regehr at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the details, Chandler. I'm really happy to hear that people
> found these error reports to be useful, even if that wasn't my
> experience. Perhaps I was talking to the wrong developers.

Something that we should all remember though is that this is nothing more
than an existence proof.

I can demonstrate that there do exist significant bodies of developers who
value these reports and fix their code. We can also surmise based on your
comments that the reverse is true -- there are significant bodies of
developers who *don't* value these reports. Sadly, we don't have any good
way of quantifying the distribution of these perspectives across all of the
C++ developers, and none of our experience can really be generalized from.

Lacking that, my inclination is to preserve the ability to catch bugs, and
try to educate or influence the rest of the C++ community to avail
themselves of such tools.