[Tooling] Scoping limits of tooling in wg21?

Titus Winters titus at google.com
Thu Jun 7 14:08:01 CEST 2018

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:29 PM Ben Craig <ben.craig at ni.com> wrote:

> I’ve heard some off-list questions about what wg21 can and cannot do,
> particularly when it comes to things regarding package management.  I’m
> hoping to get some clarifications here.
>

> *Does wg21 (and SG15) have the authority to produce a specification for a
> package / dependency manager?*

Specification?  Perhaps.

> *What if the package manager isn’t just a C++ package / dependency
> manager, but a general purpose package / dependency manager?*

Again, if it's specification.

Practically speaking, I expect SG15 to be primarily a clearinghouse for
discussion between the community and the committee on questions of tooling
and ecosystem - the output from SG15 may primarily be standing documents,
position papers, etc, and very little of the normal WG21 output
(specification).