[SG10] Formally revising SD-6

Nelson, Clark clark.nelson at intel.com
Tue Aug 19 19:15:52 CEST 2014

I said previously that I thought we would be ready to revise the SD-6 on
isocpp.org before the Urbana meeting, and I still think that -- the text is
all but ready now. But in thinking about the process of publishing the
revision, I had a new thought.

I think it would be a good idea to have the practice of publishing a WG21
N-document with the text we want SD-6 to have, and then basically to copy
that document to isocpp.org to become the new SD-6. (That would be like an
extremely primitive form of version control.)

It might (or might not) also be a good idea to announce at a meeting that we
have a revision ready to publish, to give people a chance to comment. That
certainly has the advantage of transparency; the interesting question is
whether the added delay would be worth it. In this particular instance, that
would postpone the update by just about three months.

Any comments?

--
Clark Nelson            Vice chair, PL22.16 (ANSI C++ standard committee)
Intel Corporation       Chair, SG10 (C++ SG for feature-testing)