[Cplex] Cplex: suggested topics for discussion on the next teleconf.

Torvald Riegel triegel at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 13:35:38 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 17:23 -0500, Jeff Hammond wrote:
> Yeah, I heard C11 has Pthreads in the language, which I consider to be
> quite silly.  Why send a compiler to do what a library already does?

Implementing the memory model is a job for the compiler, unless you
don't want to have any optimizations across or of atomics at all.  The
memory model also has to be defined based on a notion threads, so you at
least need the threads concept in the standard (and then you can as well
just include a portable way to create threads).  You could just provide
atomics and the memory model and let users write their own mutex and
condvar abstractions, but I don't see this as advantageous over
including base abstractions such as mutexes as part of the standard.

Torvald