Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:01:51 -0400 (EDT) From: "william c. rinehuls" <email@example.com> To: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Notice of Document Availability - SC22 N2736 - JTC 1 Request for Comments - Electronic Commerce Business Team Report - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces Secretariat: U.S.A. (ANSI) ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N2736 TITLE: JTC 1 Request for National Body and Subcommittee Comments on Document JTC 1 N5296 (SC22 N2735), Electronic Commerce Business Team Report DATE ASSIGNED: 1998-06-22 SOURCE: Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 BACKWARD POINTER: N/A DOCUMENT TYPE: N/A PROJECT NUMBER: N/A STATUS: The SC22 response to this request will be an agenda item for the August 1998 SC22 Plenary. The document is at: "http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/open/n2736.htm" ACTION IDENTIFIER: FYI DUE DATE: N/A DISTRIBUTION: htm CROSS REFERENCE: SC22 N2726, N2735 DISTRIBUTION FORM: Open Address reply to: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat William C. Rinehuls 8457 Rushing Creek Court Springfield, VA 22153 USA Telephone: +1 (703) 912-9680 Fax: +1 (703) 912-2973 email: email@example.com _____________ end of announcement __________________________________ISO/IEC JTC 1 Information Technology ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 5437 DATE: 1998-06-10 REPLACES DOC TYPE: Request for comments TITLE: Request for National Body and Subcommittee Comments on Document JTC 1 N 5296, Electronic Commerce Business Team Report SOURCE: JTC 1 Secretariat PROJECT: STATUS: As per Sendai resolution 8 (see attached), JTC 1 National Bodies and SCs are asked to review document JTC 1 N 5296 (previously circulated) and to submit comments in time for consideration at the Jan. 1999 meeting in Brazil. ACTION ID: ACT DUE DATE: 1998-12-25 DISTRIBUTION: P and L Members MEDIUM: DISKETTE NO.: NO. OF PAGES: 3 Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 West 42nd Street, New York, NY 10036; Telephone: 1 212 642 4932; Facsimile: 1 212 840 2298; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resolution 8 - Electronic Commerce (EC) Business Team Report
JTC 1 accepts the report of the electronic commerce business team contained in document JTC 1 N 5296 and requests its National Bodies and SCs to review this document and to submit comments in time for consideration at the January 1999 plenary meeting in Brazil. In particular, JTC 1 also resolves the following:
- Because of the multi-sectorial nature of EC, JTC 1 will work to improve its co-operation with other Standardization bodies, formal and others. This includes ISO/TC 68 and ISO/TC 154.
Specifically, the work in ISO/TC 68/SC 6, together with CEN/TC 224, requires close attention by JTC 1 and its SCs, in particular SC 17, SC 27 and SC 32.
2. JTC 1 recognizes that EC also addresses issues that potentially fall into the legal or regulatory domain. JTC 1 understands that fundamentally different views exist as to the degree to which legal or regulatory measures are needed. Therefore, self-regulation is often considered an appropriate instrument to address such issues, e.g. regarding:
∑ harmful content,
∑ protection of privacy,
∑ cost transparency.
JTC 1 does not make an assessment regarding the appropriateness of self-regulation versus regulation in any of these and other domains. To support self regulation or regulation, standards, in principle, may be useful tools. JTC 1 strongly recommends that any related standardization work is initiated only on the basis of a sound a priori agreement of the parties involved in such self-regulation.
3. JTC 1 encourages consumer participation in relevant standardization activities and member bodies are strongly invited to take appropriate steps. JTC 1 will re-enforce, as a general objective, the request to its technical bodies that the intended functionality of a standard is clearly stated and that standards are written in a comprehensible way.
1. JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to circulate document
N 5296 and to ask National Bodies to specifically review and comment on the work items identified. Reviewers should be invited to submit proposals for new work items.
- JTC 1 notes that all JTC 1 Technical Directions are
relevant to Electronic Commerce requirements.
JTC 1 SCs are requested to study document JTC 1 N 5296 with a view of identifying areas where they can support the requested work items (i.e., submitting an NP proposal or potentially providing experts for such work), also, if appropriate, in co-operation with other organizations.
3. JTC 1ís Chairman, National Bodies and SCs are requested to proactively encourage organizations outside of JTC 1 that are active in the area of Electronic Commerce frameworks and payment methods, to seek closer co-operation with JTC 1 and other relevant ISO Technical Committees. Already existing mechanisms for co-operation, including the JTC 1 PAS process, should be explored.
The specific actions as per 1, 2 and 3 above should be performed in a timely manner, taking account of the need to rapidly contribute to electronic commerce standardization.